Makerspace Technicians

Alex Alessi

Hello! My name is Alex Alessi and I am a Homewood student studying Robotics and Mechanical Engineering here at Hopkins. Whether it’s an autonomous boat, a low-vibration cryostat or a home automation device, I love to design and build electro-mechanical systems. Working on a project that could use a fresh set of eyes? Don’t hesitate to reach out! Outside of working hours, you’ll find me hiking, climbing or camping. The outdoors is my second home and I’m most content when I’m lost on an outdoor adventure.

Contact Info: aalessi3@jhu.edu

Catherine Pollard

Catherine Pollard is a first-year undergraduate, pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering and minoring in Robotics and Philosophy. Hailing from the great state of Massachusetts, she is most interested in making “making” accessible to everyone; that is to say, teaching individuals with different experience levels and areas of expertise how to realize their ideas through manufacturing. Other passions include A Capella music and medical technology. 

Contact Info: cpollar9@jhu.edu

Dylan Zhu

Hello there! My name’s Dylan Zhu, I’m a freshman studying BME and MechE. I’m interested in creating medical devices, especially ones that closely interface with our brains (like prosthetics and BCIs), and finding ways to help consumers get the most out of such products. Outside of work, I like listening to music (lots of Arctic Monkeys and Miles Davis) and lifting. I can’t wait to see what you make in the makerspace!

Contact Info: dzhu21@jhu.edu

I-lin Wu (Link)

Hi, my name is I-Lin Wu. You can call me Link. What?? Yes, it is the same as the character name “Link” in Zelda. My dad used Link as my English name when I was a child, and surprisingly, he didn’t even know Zelda at that time. I graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles with a bachelor’s degree in the major of electrical and computer engineering. While in college, I worked as an Assistant IC design and test engineer intern in California for about 3 months. I learned how a product is being developed in an early stage and the importance of working as a team. I also have got the chance to modify the components in the circuit and increase the power efficiency by analyzing the data collected. After that, I found a short-term job at Foxconn in China and worked as a research and development test engineer. This experience gave me the chance of working with Apple’s engineers to develop, design, and implement cost-effective methods of testing camera modules in a manufacturing environment. Now, I am pursuing my master’s degree in the major of Computer Science at Johns Hopkins University.

Contact Info: iwu18@jhu.edu

Marcus Montisano

Marcus is a junior mechanical engineering student, coming from a 3+2 Dual Degree Program with Goucher College where he studied Physics.  He is from Harrisburg, PA, where he gained a year of experience working at a local Makerspace.  At Hopkins, Marcus is a member of Blue Jay Racing, Hopkins’s Baja SAE Team, the Transfer Student Association, and Club Swimming. He enjoys assisting with design and helping projects reach their full realization. His area of expertise is working with 3D printers, but he is familiar with using laser cutters, vinyl cutters, CNCs, lathes, and mills.

Contact Info: mmontis1@jhu.edu